September 25, 2008
If you're on any of the woodworking forums around the Internet and asked a question to the group about Lee Valley Tools, or Veritas Tools,, you undoubtedly received a direct response from the President of the company, Robin Lee. And if you've ever bought any tools from the company (and if you haven't, you're doing yourself a disservice) you'll get that same down home friendly service. This is no surprise coming from a company whose philosophy on customer service is to "treat each customer like they're your friend".
Lee Valley has bee making some of the best woodworking, hardware, and garden tools in the business for the past 30 years.
Rob may be President of a large corporation but that doesn't mean that he just sits behind a big desk pushing paper. In fact Rob holds several patents on woodworking tools and is very active in new tool development.
Here are some of the topics that we covered during our interview:
- The first product that Lee Valley shipped (hint: It's not a woodworking tool).
- Why the customer base in woodworking differs from any other business out there (this one will make you proud to be a woodworker).
- What does Rob Lee do in his spare time?
- What's the best part of running Lee Valley Tools? (Hint: It has something to do with being the equivalent of a rock star!)
- What all goes into new product development?
And of coarse we talk about what Rob will be talking about at this year's Woodworking in America Conference:
- Ever wondered what the name Veritas means and why it was choosen?
- Modern Tools: Tolerances and Myths
- How Modern Tools are Designed and Made
- Bevel-Up vs. Bevel-Down Planes
- Infill Roundtable: Construction, Mechanics and Use
To hear our interview with Rob Lee go Here
Please leave your questions or comments below.